Raffles Hall

By Chee Wai Ming
About Chee Wai Ming
An Engineering student who stayed in Raffles Hall Block 6 #02-20 in 1984-85.



To me, Raffles Hall then was a new hostel which just moved from Bukit Timah Campus to Kent Ridge. I chose Raffles because of its newness but above all, its proximity to the Engineering Faculty. I stayed in Block 6, known affectionately as "Siberia" with my roommate Ng Fook Sun, another gregarious off the chart character and National Junior College ASEAN Scholar.
As in Engineering, there was a lot serious lectures and homework, so burning the midnight oil was common and hence the cherished Martian Mee supper which we hastily cooked for our late-night mugging. But I am sure you all know that, or you will soon go through it yourself if you were entering hostel living for the first time.
What you might not enjoy was our fun in using the concrete rooftop of the connecting walkways between the blocks, known affectionately as the "Expressway", it was a fantastic fast way to breeze to the main hall to get breakfast before rushing to lectures. The sliding roof slopes down from Block 6 to Block 5 was dicey but thrilling until it was expressly banned by Raffles Hall. Apparently, it was not designed as a load-bearing roof. So, I guessed this was a once in a lifetime experience that could not be replicated in Raffles Hall.
What really impacted me when I was in Raffles Hall was my proximity to the NUS Sports Centre and the swimming pool. Okay, so you might think, what was so great about the swimming pool. It was an Olympic sized swimming pool which was always full of people in the evening, but I was terrified of the water!
Really? For a boy who came from the Penang with water all around the island? It was inconceivable.
Well, back in Penang 1977, at the age of 13, with a little swimming experience, I got gung-ho in the public swimming pool in Penang and swam to the deep end of the pool with a friend to learn how to tread water. So, with hands on his shoulders, we made our way to the deep end of the pool. My hands slipped. I sank to the bottom. I panicked and grabbed him from behind (not what you are thinking).
We both ended up struggling in the water. The lifeguard dived in, towed me to pool's edge, pulled me out of the water and proceeded with introducing me to the world of most colourful Penang Hokkien.
I was dazed after gulping mouthfuls of water, confused and embarrassed. Quickly I got out of the pool and cycled home. Mid-way through, I realised I forgot to thank my saviour. That stayed with me for years. Never mentioned a word to anyone. I dared not go near any pool or seaside for many years.
Now, fast forward to 1984, Raffles Hall. I was a Freshman. The brand-new hostel was just a stone's throw away from the Olympic size swimming pool. I was dragged along unwillingly by a bunch of RH 6 gung-ho guys to pool to chill before dinner.
After several outings, I gathered enough courage and tried swimming, always aware that a pair of eyes followed me when I "swim".
The LIFEGUARD.
One fine evening I noticed the University Lifeguard Corp was recruiting. I read the entry requirements and muttered to myself "Hey I can do this".
I had a loan to repay, so I signed up and trained with ULC (University Lifeguard Corp)
I gulped a lot of water towing bricks whilst swimming laps. Staying in RH gave me a second chance to deal with my fear of water and restored my confidence when submerged in water. Besides, I earned $5/hour as student lifeguard for next 3 years. After ULC silver cross (open water rescue), I signed for scuba when I started work 1990.
I figured that if I could survive underwater I'd have finally nailed this water-fear.
I rescued my ex-girlfriend (now wife) at Tioman, my elder son when he was a toddler at condo pool all because of lifeguard training. This I owe a debt of gratitude to RH & ULC.
I still scuba dive ... and got my elder son certified when he was 13.
And scuba diving has opened a whole new world to me.

Comments

Popular